Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mean Kids


How do you handle mean kids on the playground? You know when one child is excluded from the group and everyone runs away from them? That was Saylor today and it was breaking my heart. She was so sweet and innocent. A group of older kids (maybe 6 or 7 year olds) were saying, "she's coming! Run away! She's little, don't let her get by us." She was pretending to be a puppy or chasing after them saying, "hey friends, wait!" She loves interacting with other kids. It's what she lives for. Luckily, she didn't understand exactly what was going on and so her feelings weren't hurt. I couldn't stand around and wait for her to figure out what was going on so I packed her up and we left.


As I review the situation now, I realize I could have made lemonade out of lemons. I could have gently asked the children if they could play a different game that included everyone. Or I could have loving persuaded Saylor to let me push her on the swings. However, my emotions were too much at the time. I couldn't stand watching my sweet little child be treated poorly.


I realized how naive I am today. There is so much I can't protect my child from and it kills me. I don't want her feelings to get hurt. I want her to have kind loving friends who are good examples. Unfortunately, this is the real world. Kids are going to be mean. She is going to feel lonely at times. I won't always be there to hold her and reassure her. How do I prepare her for all of this? How do I prepare myself?!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry that happened to sweet little Saylor. She is so cute. The heartbreak of the world is so hard on our sweet babies. Just love them, that is all you can do and teach them to be the friend to the lonely.

    ReplyDelete