Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Everyone is just Waiting

   When I was pregnant with Saylor I used to listen to "The Wait" by Built to Spill all the time. It describes perfectly the idea of enduring. We are always waiting for something. Most of all we are waiting for something EXCITING to happen. Sadly, most of our time is spent in the day-to-day business of life. The Postal Service has a beautiful lyric that says, "it's not a party if it happens every night." I used to spend my life jumping from adventure to adventure. I constantly sought out the next thrilling event. Most of the time this was attempted through the immature means of  drugs, sex, alcohol or dare devil stunts. Luckily, God granted me the opportunity to live long enough to learn that much of life is spent waiting, observing, pondering, thinking, learning and not so much DOING.
  Oh, the Places You'll Go! by the amazing Dr. Seuss teaches this very principle by saying:

"Everyone is just waiting. Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for the wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting."
 
  As high-spirited as I am this has been one of the most difficult lessons for me learn. I often feel like I am caught in a constant transition...waiting for the next move. And this my friends, I believe, is what is meant by "enduring to the end." Now, I'm certainly not saying that life is to be trudged through. I am saying that just because life my get boring, that is no reason to become discouraged. I am finding peace, comfort and contentment in the simple, little things. My highs are not as high. But my lows are nowhere near as low.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment